[labnetwork] HF vapor etch

Peter J Duda III duda at uchicago.edu
Fri Dec 4 11:11:07 EST 2015

Rick
Just as an FYI - the two manufacturers you listed sell similar yet distinctly different tools.  SPTS sells an Anhydrous HF etch tool that utilizes Anhydrous HF gas as the etchant source under vacuum.  OAI sells an HF acid vapor etcher that utilizes HF acid as the etchant source at atmosphere.  The etch mechanism is similar (if not technically the same) but the anhydrous system presumably does allow for better control of moisture on the etch surface which enables materials and process that are sensitive to HF acid but not sensitive to anhydrous HF (aluminum is a good example of a material that will be attacked by HF acid but not by anhydrous HF).
I know of two manufacturers of HF acid Vapor systems:

1.       I am pretty sure OAI and Idonus are the same tool.

2.       Advanced Micromachining Tools http://www.ammt.com/products/hydrofluoric-acid-vapor-etcher/
I also know of two manufacturers of Vacuum Anhydrous HF etch systems:

1.       SPTS

2.       Memstar http://memsstar.com/products-services/mems/vapor-HF-hydrogen-fluoride-vapor-phase-etching/
The Anhydrous vacuum systems are orders of magnitude more in terms of cost than the acid systems (although the acid systems require some sort of exhaust hood) but presumable give more selectivity, rate control etc.  I have only used the vacuum systems.  The SPTS tool utilizes alcohol as catalyst and operates at higher pressures (Torr range) whereas the Memstar tool utilizes water vapor as a catalyst when required and operates at lower pressure (mTorr range).

Thanks
Peter J Duda
Technical Manager, Pritzker Nanofabrication Facility
Institute for Molecular Engineering
University of Chicago
5640 South Ellis Avenue
WERC LL181