[labnetwork] Need help with RIE process

Noah Clay nclay at seas.upenn.edu
Wed Mar 4 15:56:09 EST 2015

Rick,

Are you running a lower power Ar plasma before/while de-chucking?  Have a look at this:

http://www.google.com/patents/US20110151669 <http://www.google.com/patents/US20110151669>

To summarize, here’s a cut-and-paste from the patent:

As part of the de-chuck process, an argon de-chuck is performed, wherein argon is introduced into chamber 42 and a radio frequency (RF) power, for example, about 400 watts, is applied to ionize argon and generate argon plasma. The RF energy may be applied for about 10 seconds. It is expected that by applying the argon plasma, the accumulated charges built up in wafer 100 are at least partially neutralized. The argon de-chuck is part of the de-chuck process because it also has the effect of releasing wafer 100.

During or after the period when the argon plasma is in chamber 42, a reverse de-chuck voltage is applied to ESC 16 to de-chuck (release) wafer 100. In an embodiment, the reverse de-chuck voltage (referred to as a high reverse de-chuck voltage hereinafter) is between about −650V and about −975V. Experiments have found that, advantageously, by limiting the reverse de-chuck voltage in this range, the JTAG failure that may occur to wafer 100 in the via-etching is significantly reduced. This range of the reverse de-chuck voltage is likely to be less negative than the low reverse de-chuck voltages that are also used for de-chuck, which low reverse de-chuck voltages may be about −1300V, for example. The reverse de-chuck voltage may be applied, for example, about 2 seconds, although a longer or shorter time may also be used.

After the de-chuck process, lift pins 14 are raised to lift up wafer 100. Lift pins 14 are grounded and contact the backside of wafer 100. Accordingly, charges that are accumulated in the exposed conductive features may be discharged through the backside of wafer 100. Advantageously, due to the use of the high reverse de-chuck voltage, which has a magnitude of about 50 percent to about 75 percent of the low reverse de-chuck voltage, the JTAG failure is significantly reduced. Experiments performed on wafers have demonstrated that if a low reverse de-chuck voltage of −1300V (which was used in conventional via-etching processes) is used, after the formation of opening 22 (FIG. 3) and the subsequent photo resist ashing, the voltage potentials on the respective wafers range between about 6.5V and about −0.1V, with the difference being about 6.6V. As a comparison, when a high reverse de-chuck voltage of −975V (an embodiment of the present invention) is used, after the etching and ashing process of opening 22, the voltage potentials on the respective wafers range between about −1.3V and about −3.9V, with the difference being only about 2.6V. The significant reduction in the differences of voltage potentials on a same wafer indicates better charge neutralization in the embodiments of the present invention than in conventional methods, which results in lower JTAG failure rates.

Best,
Noah