[labnetwork] Sapphire substrates: precision scribe & break

Espen Rogstad espen.rogstad at ntnu.no
Sat Nov 7 12:16:55 EST 2015

Hi Vito,

A couple of years ago we scribed and cleaved a few 2" sapphire wafers that were around 300um thick. This was done with a dynatex II scribe & break machine that I guess is around 15 years old. Had to use quite high scribing and breaking force (I can check numbers if interested) but it worked fine. The diamond scribe tool would probably not last very long but since we only scribed a few wafers we didn't have any issues with that. Also, never checked sidewalls so don't know if they were smooth or not... Hope this helps anyway!

Regards,
Espen Rogstad
Senior Engineer
NTNU NanoLab