[labnetwork] NiFe 81-19 Sputtering Request

Hal Romans halromans at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 19 12:14:03 EDT 2016

Hi Michael -Are you sure your gun is correctly setup to sputter magnetic materials? This usually requires removing or changing the polarity of a permanent magnet(s). With our PVD 75 at the University of Illinois, we only RF sputtered oxides so I never had to worry about this there and couldn't tell you exactly what needs to be done.
Also, I've found the Lesker shield (outer, ground electrode) to be very flimsy and susceptible to distortion due to heating - especially the ring on top that sets the gap between the outer electrode and the target hold down ring. I would purchase some of these to have on hand anyway.

Also check to make sure everything is very clean. One critical point is the top ring mentioned above. The other being where the outer electrode attaches to the gun at the bottom. These screws not only set the gap between the two electrodes but complete the ground path.         Also make sure there are no high spots on the pan head screws that hold down the target. The flat tip screwdriver slot is easy to get buggered up. Buy some spares of these also.
Also make sure there are no high spots on your target (from arcing, etc.).
Finally, I would sometimes have to "cheat" to increase the gap between the two electrodes. When installing the outer electrode, don't allow the slot in the can to fully fall onto the attachment screw. Just make sure this is done evenly on all slots so the gap between the electrodes is uniform. You may want to try this early in your troubleshooting to confirm the problem is a spacing issue between electrodes. If it is the problem, you may decide to complete your urgent deposition before fixing the underlying problem.
Good luck,
J. Hal Romans Senior Equipment Engineer University of California San Diegohromans at ucsd.edu