[labnetwork] NiFe 81-19 Sputtering Request

Matt Moneck mmoneck at andrew.cmu.edu
Sun Jun 19 13:03:25 EDT 2016

Hi Michael,

It was great meeting you at UGIM.  We’ve had our fair share of issues sputtering NiFe in the past.  With NiFe being such a high permeability material, the issues we typically see revolve around low pass through flux (i.e. too much shunting of magnetic field through the target) as a result of the NiFe target being too thick and/or cathode magnets being too weak (we typically use NdFeB).  We have even gone as far as to cut an erosion groove in one of our NiFe targets (it was too thick when ordered) to increase the pass through flux enough to trap electrons at the target.  However, in the above scenarios, we would have a situation where the plasma would only ignite at high pressure or not ignite at all.  In those cases, we either need to run RF (typically results in high reflected power) or make a change to the target and/or cathode.

Your case is obviously a bit different as it seems that you can run the plasma for a few runs before it fails.  We have seen similar failure mechanisms, but they can be caused by many factors.  Are your burn-in runs done at a different pressure and DC power than the 800 W runs that are failing?  Also, are the failed runs always right after a conditioning run or burn-in run?  Furthermore, have you had a chance to inspect the target and shields for buildup of material (we have seen intermittent shorts that only occur after sputtering for some time)? More recently, we even had a magnetic target (CoFeB) crack and subsequently display the type of behavior you are seeing.

If you need a run for your client, we are set up to do NiFe and can handle wafers up to 6” diameter.  We would only need to know what type of substrate as well as the requirements for film properties (thickness, stress, coercivity, need for easy axis, etc.).  My only concern is that it may take several days to get a contract in place.  I will forward the agreement to you in a separate email if you are interested in pursuing this further.

Best Regards,

Matt

--
Matthew T. Moneck, Ph.D.
Executive Manager, Carnegie Mellon Nanofabrication Facility