[labnetwork] Project Feasibility for RIE

Robert Hower hower at umich.edu
Mon Oct 17 14:03:22 EDT 2016

I agree with Vince on the contamination of the vacuum plasma chamber. In
addition to just the volatile components, how pure were the components
prior to mixing? You may have other metals/ions in the material, that could
contaminate your chamber, and cause changes in the plasma.

Rob

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 10:59 AM, Luciani, Vincent (Fed) <
Vincent.Luciani at nist.gov> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I checked with our RIE chemist.  He does not have direct experience with
> these chemicals but offered the following comments.
>

> Based on the formula, the film is a solid polymer
> (CH2CHCO(C2H4O)nCOOCHCH2) blended with the ionic liquids (C8H15BF4N2+
> AgBF4+ C10H12O2) inside. It is a Carbon based film, so normal Oxygen plasma
> should etch it. The concern is if the small molecular organic compounds
> (C8H15BF4N2 and C10H12O2) will vaporize inside the high vacuum plasma
> chamber which may change the electrolyte chemical composition and
> contaminate the plasma system.
>

> Best,
>
> Vince Luciani
>

> Vincent K. Luciani
>
> NanoFab Manager
>
> Center for Nanoscale Science and Technology <http://www.cnst.nist.gov/>
>
> National Institute of Standards and Technology
>
> 100 Bureau Drive, MS 6201
>
> Gaithersburg, MD 20899-6200 USA
>
> +1-301-975-2886

Robert W. Hower, Ph.D.
The University of Michigan, Lurie Nanofabrication Facility
1301 Beal Ave, 1234A EECS
Ann Arbor, MI 48109