[labnetwork] LED cleanroom lights

Dennis Schweiger schweig at umich.edu
Wed Feb 1 08:02:09 EST 2017

Norman,

good morning.  We're going through this exact process right now here at
UofMichigan in the older portion of our cleanroom, as part of the project
when we replace the HEPA filters.  It's been a long learning curve to get
to the final answer.  We've also reevaluated our "yellow" light capability
and found that what we were using wasn't as effective as we thought, and we
needed to be more "orange" to filter out the blue spectrum.  When we
decided to change the color, it was obvious that we needed more lamps to
get the lumen output back up where it wasn't like working in a closet.  We
found a local (Michigan area) lighting manufacturer that is remaking the
tombstone support brackets to increase our lamp count from 2 bulbs to 4
bulbs, in various strategic fixtures throughout the lab, and we're
installing an improved tombstone with the retrofit.  They had their UL guy
take a look at what we wanted to do, and we've been told that our old
fixtures, with the extra bulbs, will still meet the UL listing requirement
that our inspectors are requiring, provided we install the LED bulbs as per
specification.

We've been looking at changing over all of our mechanical spaces to LED as
well, and we've found that some of the fixtures have the lamp pins oriented
vertically, and not horizontally.  For fluorescent tubes, this isn't a big
deal because they generate light 360 degrees.  For the LED lamps, there's a
blank spot on the "top" of the tube where no light is generated.  We're
currently testing the functionality of using the LED lamp in a "90 degree
out of rotation" installation.  So far, it seems to work just fine, both in
operation, and in light generation.

I've attached the cut sheets on the T-8 replacement LED lamps (direct wire
277 LED that fit a T-12 and T-8 socket) we're using, along with the T-5 LED
equivalent we're looking at (these still require a ballast).  I've also
included the information I've compiled on the "yellow/orange" filters that
we're still evaluating.  I've found that not all of the tube filters that
fit a T-8, or T-5, fluorescent tube, will fit over their respective LED
replacement.  For the filters, be prepared to see a huge variation in
pricing, both in quantity, and from manufacturer.

If you'd like to come out and take a look at what we've done (the cleanroom
won't be fully retrofitted with new filters and lamps till late April),
just give me a call.

By the way, just to give you some idea of the scope we're talking about, in
just the cleanroom there are 197 lighting fixtures, and the mechanical
spaces add about another 150 fixtures.

Thank you,

Dennis Schweiger
Facilities Manager