[labnetwork] Experience with CdS and dry etching

Brent Gila bgila at ufl.edu
Wed Oct 25 13:37:22 EDT 2017

Hello Mark,

Here is the link to the CDC website with Cd exposure limits.
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.atsdr.cdc.gov_csem_csem.asp-3Fcsem-3D6-26po-3D7&d=DwIDaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=EhqHy4a2rnA5a4ehzWAAfKveFS3lPv3RmQTaTocONM4&m=paqIUb_Y4G_a57SmOlow7d6JiqnQeZVGGx4IN4jjaUU&s=mh1sb9grYAXTukWGeEaK6dkF-3wXmmXVgVFYweJO2mE&e=

Since you mentioned toxicity, I assume you are not worried about process
cross contamination and more concerned with the tool operator/service
engineer.  This is less of a concern if the tool is loadlocked compared
to a non loadlocked etch system.  I would estimate the amount of
material etched during the process would leave a very small amount of Cd
solids in the etch tool so the exposure level would be minimum.  I spent
many years doing ZnCdSe epi growth and we wore respirators during
chamber cleans/maintenance and kept the area around the tool very
clean.  After a service and cleanup, we never had elevated Cd levels in
the swipes that were tested.

Your waste from the tool (gloves, wipes, chamber cleaning debris, sleeve
guards) will all now have trace Cd and the EPA allows up to 1.0ppm of Cd
in the waste stream.  So to be safe, all the waste should be bagged up
and labeled accordingly, Cd is a RCRA metal. Only Hg has a lower
allowable limit of 0.2ppm, so Cd is one of the more restricted RCRA
metals to have to deal with.

Unfortunately I have no CdS etch experience to further comment.

Best Regards,
Brent

--
Brent P. Gila, PhD.