[labnetwork] Handling of MF-319 Developer

Sweeney, John john_sweeney at harvard.edu
Tue Oct 30 08:26:04 EDT 2018

At Harvard
The PPE requirements for developers that have between 2.5 and 3% Tetramethyl ammonium hydroxide in them:

While pouring from gallon containers into beakers: safety glasses, face shield, disposable chemical apron, one 6 mil pair of nitrile and then over that glove is a longer sleeve type blue nitrile glove (4 mil)
When working with smaller quantities (100 ml beakers and less) we lessen PPE to safety glasses but still double glove (two thin gloves) no apron required.

The latest death related to TMAH was in Korea and it was with 8.75% TMAH (used as a pallet cleaning detergent so this person had his entire legs covered with 8.75% TMAH he died 5 hours later from acute TMAH poisoning) so this material warrants extra precaution.

Thanks