[labnetwork] SU-8 in a DRIE

Christopher Raum crraum at gmail.com
Wed May 8 03:32:08 EDT 2019

Hi Kurt,

One alternative might be KMPR. It's sort of a next generation SU-8 (also by
MicroChem/IBM), that may not have the same contamination issues. It is
highly selective in fluorine plasma etches like SU-8, can be spread thick
(I've done >100um for fused quartz etching), and also has a special solvent
designed to make stripping much more easy than SU-8. It's a negative epoxy
based resist (also like SU-8).

Draw backs are that it's quite expensive, and you should store it in a
freezer so it keeps for up to a year. One way to deal with this is buy a
bunch of single use syringes, fill them with the KMPR, and freeze the
syringes. If you're dealing with users, that also makes it easier to sell
it by the syringe.

Regards,

Chris Raum
--