[labnetwork] Gas exhaust

N P VAMSI KRISHNA vamsinittala at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 17:29:29 EST 2019

Dear Xin Guo,
in my previous workplace, we used to have a separate point of use (POU)
abatement systems for PECVD (Burn box at 800 C) and RIE-Fl (NaOH scrubber).
Looks like you are not using most of the toxic gases in PECVD (Ex. Silane,
Diborane, Hydrogen, phosphine...). If you want to use them, it may be a
good idea to have a separate POU scrubber for PECVD and the exhaust of the
burn-box/dry scrubber you can merge with the central dry exhaust.

Thanks & best regards,
Vamsi

On Wed, Nov 6, 2019 at 10:49 AM Xin (Shane) Guo <sguo18 at yorku.ca> wrote:

> Hi Colleagues,
>
> We are trying to set up a dual chamber PECVD-RIE system. Our internal team
> has concerns of mixed fumes sharing the same exhaust. The gases involve
> NH3(in a gas cabinet), N2, O2, Ar, He, SF6, CHF3, CF4, TEOS and DES (vapor
> draw), though it should be only traces of the waste gases going into the
> exhaust.
>
> Can you share what your practice is in your facility? Do you use separate
> exhaust for different groups of gases? What is the best place to find the
> guideline or regulation of such thing?
>
> Best
>
> Shane

N.P.  Vamsi Krishna, PhD

Postdoctoral Fellow

Pritzker School of Molecular Engineering, *The University of Chicago *

Center for Nanoscale Materials, *Argonne National Laboratory *

Phone: 1 (331) 757-8565