[labnetwork] Subcontracting dry etching scenarios

Morrison, Richard H., Jr rmorrison at draper.com
Thu Oct 17 06:01:15 EDT 2019

Hi,

How is the wafer masked for the etch?
How deep is the etch?
Have you already developed the ICP/RIE process if so what tool was it on?

Remember that an ICP/RIE is only going to be operational 90% of the time due to cleans and PM schedules. Then the vendor would have other customers to work in so with your wafer volumes this will be a challenge.

10K wafers per year is ~ 193 wafers per week assuming no photolitho operation a 5 minute etch with overhead is really 7-8 minutes so it would take 1544 minutes to just etch, that is 25 hours work per week. Then you need to add in inspections and clean operations.

200K wafers per year is ~3846 per week you will need 30768 minutes of etch time a week or 512 fab hours, a 24/7 fab is 168 hours per week so you would need 5 tools.

Good luck with your search, Draper has a small capability nowhere what you need, try IMT in Santa Barbara Ca.

Rick