[labnetwork] Thermal uniformity measurement of RTA/RTP tools

Fred Newman fnewman at uw.edu
Tue Feb 18 16:34:48 EST 2020

  Hi All,

Does anyone have any experience with characterizing the thermal uniformity
of RTA tools?  I am aware of using instrumented TC wafers, dry thermal
oxide, Ti silicidation, and Al-Si eutectic to name a few, but am not so
clear on all the advantages and disadvantages, particularly the true
sensitivity vs. potential to be misled by results.  Any advice, anecdotes,
or words of wisdom would be most appreciated.

For background, we have a couple of Heatpulse 610 units that we operate at
the WNF using quartz holders for 100 - 150 mm wafers.  The holders we have
make 3 asperity contact points with the wafer, so basically the
configuration inside the tube is nominally nothing absorbing besides the
wafer being annealed (usually Si) and the thermocouple wire tip (held by
spring force against the wafer back), and little thermal interaction
between the chamber fixture and the wafer.  Various users employ a broad
range of temperatures, though the ones from whom I get the most questions
about uniformity operate in the 500-600C range.

Many thanks!
Fred

--
Fred Newman