[labnetwork] SPTS Technologies

Steve Vargo Steve.Vargo at spts.com
Fri Feb 28 16:21:16 EST 2020

Hi All,

                The key to controlling the footing (also called notching, this is the sidewall attack seen on insulating stop layers) is using pulsed bias power. This can be done with either HF or LF bias power operation, as long as the bias generator can apply it in a controllable and pulsed mode operation. On newer SPTS DRIE etch modules (Rapier or DSi-v) this is done with either HF (13.56 MHz) or LF (380 kHz) pulsing with recipe controlled setpoints for the pulsing ON time and pulsing OFF time. In most applications the use of HF pulsed bias power is the default operation but in some unique applications the use of LF pulsed bias power yields better results. Our default offering on new DRIE etch modules uses HF bias power but LF bias power is an optional upgrade should it be needed.

If you let me know model or serial no. of the SPTS system in question I can advise further on what might be best for notch control.

And as Greg mentioned, the use of endpoint control for monitoring the actual Si etch will enable the best path for minimal notch size. Our newer DRIE modules utilize our Claritas OES endpoint system which is class-leading in terms of operations for all applications. This monitors the Si etch process and can be setup to change the DRIE recipe conditions based on Si etch feedback. This enable process time control as well as soft-landing conditions on etch stop layers.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Steve

Stephen Vargo, Ph.D., Senior Global Applications Manager
SPTS Technologies, Inc., A KLA Company
T. | M. +1 (626) 233-0687          spts.com