[labnetwork] Virtual fabrication apps/programs

Jackson Anderson ander906 at purdue.edu
Tue May 12 11:59:16 EDT 2020

Hello Chito,

I do not have too much experience with Synopsys Sentaurus myself, but I
know it is a very popular and powerful TCAD application that is used in a
lot of industrial applications. That being said, I think it can be a bit
confusing to get started with. Silvaco Athena is another TCAD application I
have used in past coursework at Rochester Institute of Technology that is
more user friendly and I believe has cheaper licensing. It maintains the
capability to do physics-based simulations of oxidation, diffusion, etc and
the final 2D device geometry can be exported into their Atlas simulator to
do electrical simulations. One of the professors in Microelectronic
Engineering there might be a good reference on using it in coursework. If
you are merely looking for a tool to visualize 2D cross-sections for an
example process, you could look at the XSection add-on for Klayout, which
would be a completely free option.This tool allows you to take a GDS,
assign materials/processing to each mask layer, and then drag a 2D cutline
across the top view of your mask at various points but is visual only and
does not have physics simulation.

Hope that helps.

Jackson

*Jackson Anderson*