[labnetwork] Dow ebeam resist delays

Aaron Hryciw ahryciw at ualberta.ca
Tue Sep 8 22:51:08 EDT 2020

Hi Franklin,

This has been an ongoing issue lately, and has come up for discussion in
the Labnetwork before; see here
<https://mtl.mit.edu/pipermail/labnetwork/2019-September/003867.html> for
my response to the thread at that time.

In brief, at our centre we have switched from Dow Corning XR-1541 to a dry
HSQ powder ("AQM SiOx") from Applied Quantum Materials
<https://www.aqmaterials.com/aqm-silsesquioxane-polymers>, which has
benefits of a much longer shelf life (while dry), and allows you to mix it
with MIBK to the required concentration as needed, avoiding the problem of
purchasing several concentrations which are not used up by their expiry
date.  It is made locally (in Edmonton, Canada), but is distributed
internationally, and we have had no problems with procurement.  The only
point I would add to my post linked above is that it is important to use
MIBK which is as anhydrous as possible, to ensure the solution does not
turn into a gel.  AQM recommends using HPLC grade MIBK
<https://www.fishersci.com/shop/products/methyl-isobutyl-ketone-exceeds-a-c-s-specifications-hplc-grade-99-spectrum-2/18611704>
mix with their HSQ powders; this is what they supply with their HSQ powders
if sold as a HSQ + MIBK kit.

Cheers,

 – Aaron

Aaron Hryciw, PhD, PEng