[labnetwork] Replacement for Leybold Dryvac 50P?

Shimon Eliav shimonel at savion.huji.ac.il
Sat Apr 24 11:47:44 EDT 2021

Hi Bill,

We had a similar story with our PlasmaLab 100, some years ago.

The system came originally equipped with an Adixen Pump with roots blower, I think similar to the Leybold pump you mentioned. The pump worked fine, but every four years we had to send it to be refurbished in France, an expensive process (money and also time).

I decided to exchange the Adixen pump for an equivalent Edwards, since we have local service at affordable prices here in Israel.

Our PlasmaLab system sends START/STOP and STAND-BY commands to the pump. Those are simple dry-contacts commands, but the technician from Edwards didn’t succeeded to make the connection. Then I came into the scene and with patience I made it work.

Since we have Edwards service available here near us, we programed the pump to “run to fail” and when the time comes we will send it for complete refurbishing, what will take one week to be done. I think it is a good arrangement. Much less expensive than the original situation and also faster.

Original Adixen Pump Model: ADS 602P
Edwards Pump model: IH600
Attached: PlasmaLab 100 Rough Pump Connections Schematics
Exchange Date: 02/2016 – five years and running!

Regards,

Shimon Eliav
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
The Unit for Nano Fabrication