[labnetwork] Cambridge/Ultratech/Veeco Savannah ALD - stop valve issues?

Hathaway, Malcolm R hathaway at cns.fas.harvard.edu
Tue Mar 30 21:55:06 EDT 2021

Hi Tim,

Yes, this issue is endemic to these units, as all the deposition gases pass over the sealing surfaces of the valve under normal operating conditions.

One solution is to maintain a stock of the appropriate (but expensive) Kalrez-type orings, and do a valve sealing-face cleanup at intervals.  Eventually, however, you will find that deposition has encrusted the interior of the valve bellows, rendering it much less flexible than original equipment.

I am happy to share with you via PM some plumbing "rearrangements" that we have instituted which seem to have helped this problem greatly.

Sincerely,

Mac Hathaway
Senior Process and Systems Engineer
Harvard CNS