[labnetwork] Gas Purity Grade for RIE

James Mitchell jtmitch5 at ncsu.edu
Fri May 14 08:46:15 EDT 2021

Five 9's (99.999) is good, Six 9's better.
Most suppliers call five 9's research grade.
I think either would be good.
Safety note: If you are going to use Chlorine, make sure your system has a
load lock and some kind of toxic monitoring system.
Honeywell makes some good ones.
Also put your toxics gas bottles in an exhausted gas cabinet.

Jim

On Fri, May 14, 2021 at 7:59 AM Dr. Loïk Gence <loik.gence at fis.puc.cl>
wrote:

> Hi Keith,
>
> Thanks for your comment.
>
> that would be great. However, a purifier would represent additional
> costs of equipment and maintenance that seems expensive.
>
> We are talking about a small university cleanroom, and this will be the
> first RIE in Chile.
>
> The matter is mainly for SF6, Cl2, BCl3, CHF3, and CF4. I guess,
> purification of BCl3 and Cl2 is not that easy.
>

> Best,
>
> Loïk
>

> Le 13/05/2021 à 20:08, Keith Barnes a écrit :
> > Why not use a purifier?
> >
> > Sent from my iPhone
> >
> >> On May 13, 2021, at 4:38 PM, Dr. Loïk Gence <loik.gence at fis.puc.cl>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> I hope you are all fine and safe.
> >>
> >> We are planning the installation of our first RIE with chlorine and
> Fluorine chemistries.
> >>
> >> I was wondering, what are purity grade of the gases you are using.
> Always electronic grade, 5.0 grade or above ?  To avoid potential
> contamination of the gas lines, chamber, etc...  of course, choosing the
> best purity available is a solution. However, thinking about the
> cost/utility for standard etching processes, and with potential problem of
> local availability of high grade, what grade range would you consider safe
> for the equipment and standard processes?
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance for your comment.
> >>

> >> Best,
> >>
> >> Loïk

*James Mitchell*
*Specialty Trades Technician*
*Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering*
*NCSU Nanofabrication Facility*
*MRC RM243A **Box 7911*
*2410 Campus Shore Dr., Raleigh, NC 27606*
*jtmitch5 at ncsu.edu* <jtmitch5 at ncsu.edu>
*Desk: 919-515-5394*
*Cell: 919-717-7325*