[labnetwork] Ebeam evaporation of Ge2Sb2Se5 - risks?

Timothy J Gilheart gilheart at rice.edu
Mon Apr 18 12:18:32 EDT 2022

Hi Christoph,

I’d be very cautious about introducing that to a shared tool.

Both Sb and Se present with toxicity concerns, which may be sufficient reason alone to deny this request.

Both of them also have relatively high vapor pressure, so they can really contaminate the chamber for subsequent processes, unless you have some specific measures in place to address that.

I’m also not sure about the stoichiometry and/or structure of Ge2Sb2Se5 deposited through PVD. This material (as well as GSST, the Te-doped version of the same thing) is a glass formed through melt-quenching; some of those properties may be lost through subsequent melting and redeposition. I found some references detailing thermal evaporation procedures for GSST, but none for e-beam, so maybe it’s possible on the right tool?

You should decide what’s best for your tool and facility, but I’d deny this material for a general purpose shared tool on the basis of toxicity concerns alone.

Best of luck,

--
Tim Gilheart, Ph.D.
Research Scientist - Nanofabrication Cleanroom Manager,
Cell: 832-341-5488 | Office: 713-348-3159 | gilheart at rice.edu