[labnetwork] Iridium Oxide Reactive Process Problems

Carlos Gramajo cg70 at rice.edu
Tue Apr 19 17:12:30 EDT 2022

Hello everyone,

We have a sputter chamber at Rice in which we are doing a reactive
Iridium Oxide process with an Iridium target. This process produces a lot
of flakes that get lodged in all sorts of crevices and end up shorting the
system out at the base of the gun, under the target. We usually solve the
problem by vacuuming and blowing nitrogen to dislodge stubborn flakes out
of there.

I wonder if there might be a better solution to prevent that from happening
in the first place: maybe a ceramic insert or possibly vacuum grease, to
keep the flakes from getting in there. I just don't know if that will cause
any damage to the system or otherwise prevent it from performing it job.

Does anyone else have this problem and a solution for it?

Thank you,

--
Carlos Gramajo
Cleanroom Research Scientist