[labnetwork] Providing chemical gloves to users

Nathanael Sieb sieb at 4dlabs.ca
Tue Nov 1 19:23:51 EDT 2022

Hi Eric,

In our facility we have levels of PPE required.  Inside the Clean Room
standard cleanroom gloves are required at all times to prevent particle
contamination.  A second pair of gloves is required for any work on the
wet-benches or spin coaters.  These gloves are single-use and can be
disposed of in the Clean Room solid chemical waste if they get
contaminated.  For HF, BOE, Nanostrip, acids, etc., a third pair of
elbow-length thicker nitrile gloves, an apron, and a face shield is
required.  These items are dedicated for the acid work and re-usable.
We would replace them if they are damaged.

Outside the Clean Room we have similar protocols except we don't have
the initial layer to prevent particle contamination and we don't use
cleanroom-grade gloves.

I hope that helps a bit.

Thanks,
Nathanael

On 2022-11-01 9:07 a.m., Eric Johnston wrote:
> Hi All
>
> We are reassessing how we should be providing heavier chemical gloves
> for our users, especially for use with HF. I am curious about how
> everyone else is handling these types of gloves. For example:
> - Is each user responsible for their own pair of gloves?
> - Is there a common set of gloves that are replaced periodically?
> - Are chemical gloves single use and then disposed of?
> - Do you use one type of glove material for all processing?
>
> I would be happy to summarize the responses for everyone.
>
> Thanks
>
> Eric
>
> Eric Johnston
> Director, Quattrone Nanofabrication Facility
> Singh Center for Nanotechnology
> University of Pennsylvania
> 3205 Walnut Street, #116
> ericdj at seas.upenn.edu
> T. 215.573.6695 <tel:215.573.6695>

*Nathanael Sieb *
Director of Operations and Administration  | 4D LABS
<http://www.4dlabs.ca/>
Simon Fraser University
8888 University Dr., Burnaby, B.C. V5A 1S6
T: 778.782.8084 | F: 778.782.3765 | www.4dlabs.ca <http://www.4dlabs.ca>
Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/4dlabs/> | Twitter
<https://twitter.com/4D_LABS> | LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/sfu-4d-labs/about/>