[labnetwork] Microfabrication class

Evans, Gary gae at smu.edu
Mon Oct 10 18:14:32 EDT 2022

Hi Sergi,
As part of a junior level lecture course on semiconductors (at the Streetman/Bannerjee level), the lab portion of the course has students fabricating p-channel MOSFET transistors on 4” (100 mm) wafers using a 4 mask level process.  I am attaching the traveler that is being used this semester.  Typically there are 10 labs over the 15 week semester, with the devices being tested in the last lab.  Enrollment is limited to about 28 students because we limit the number of students in the clean room to 4 students at a time, and having 7 lab sessions outside of class lectures a week is about the scheduling limit.  The lab sessions are nominally 2 hours, but often shorter and occasionally longer.  I always try to have two experienced Teaching Assistants in each lab session for safety.  You likely can get a donated furnace for diffusion (we use spin on boron) and oxidation.  We have a sputter system to deposit Al for contacts.  Most of the time testing consists of just probe-testing at the wafer level.  A few times we have diced up the wafer and mounted some transistors on TO headers.

I also teach a compound semiconductor course and in the lab portion of that course we fab InP based HBTs, GaAs based HEMPTs and semiconductor lasers (GaAs or InP based).  In a 15 week semester, we can easily fab any two types of devices, although on occasion we have done all three.  IntelliEPI generously provides the epitaxial material.  These devices only require photolithography, wet etching and metallization (TiAu, e-beam deposited).  If interested I can send the process travelers for these devices, too.
If you want more information (mask details, course syllabus…)  let me know or just give me a call.
Best Regards,
Gary Evans
Professor
Southern Methodist University