[labnetwork] Thoughts about sunlight entering cleanroom

Joseph E. Palmer jpalmer at Princeton.EDU
Thu Feb 23 11:10:51 EST 2023

A cleanroom should never have windows to the outside.  While using
yellow film to reduce UV from sunlight works, this must periodically be
replaced.  Also, the window interferes with the temperature stability of
the environment.

Your situation may be ok, as you will only need filters.

Regards,

Joe

On 2/22/2023 1:04 PM, Joseph Losby wrote:
> Hello, in the planning of our new facility the architects have placed
> windows along a side of the cleanroom (which is fine). Outside of the
> windows is a hallway which is lined with large windows to the
> outside.  This would allow for sunlight to pass through two sets of
> windows and into the cleanroom. Although standard windows are adequate
> for filtering a majority of shorter wavelength UV, some of the longer
> wavelength UV (UV-A, ~300-400 nm) will still transmit. It is of my
> belief that it's standard practice not to have sunlight entering the
> cleanroom (especially a litho area).
>
> Are any of your cleanrooms exposed to sunlight (I haven't seen any)
> and, if so, what type of window filtering do you use?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Joseph Losby, PhD.
> Operations Manager, qLab
> Quantum City, University of Calgary