[labnetwork] Sensors for DES (diethylsilane)

Albert William (Bill) Flounders bill_flounders at berkeley.edu
Fri Jan 20 21:22:03 EST 2023

 Mario Beaudoin,
I'm surprised there is even a monitoring requirement for diethylsilane
(DES) and wonder how it is being defined.
MSD sheets don't list a LFL and most don't even have vapor pressure data.
Gelest at least has BP
I understand DES is flammable but I think few of us are monitoring all our
flammable gases.
I know I'm not monitoring my methane at home - but I recognize that's why
we add mercaptan.
All that aside, monitoring is good - so back to your sensor

I expect the company is just offering you a general hydride sensor.
I would ask them to confirm that they even have it calibrated to DES - and
how they do it.
Then you can ask them for the cross reactivity to silane -
and just use anyone else's reasonably priced silane sensor.
For a flammable gas, I would not consider carefully calibrated detection to
ppm necessary.
I think you and your authority having jurisdiction (AHJ) just want to know
if you have a leak or not.

Bill Flounders
UC Berkeley