[labnetwork] Forming gas: 5% or 10% hydrogen

Dan P. Woodie daniel.woodie at princeton.edu
Thu Feb 29 16:35:11 EST 2024

I can’t offer anything with regards to the efficacy of a given percentage of hydrogen for the semiconductor annealing benefits, but one other item to consider is that hydrogen greater than 2.9% in nitrogen is rated as flammable, while you can go up to 5.9% in argon and still remain nonflammable. Depending on your local fire codes and regulations, that may make a difference.

Additionally, some researchers prefer argon over nitrogen to avoid any risk of a nitrogen reaction with their substrate.

Dan

Daniel Woodie
Director, Micro/Nano Fabrication Center, Princeton Materials Institute